Friday, March 12, 2010

Mexican Brunch at Papacitos

I love Greenpoint. I especially love walking around and exploring, which is what I got to do last weekend during the wonderful Spring-like weather, and along the way I developed a hankering for Mexican. Luckily, there are a number of options along Manhattan Avenue, and we ended up at Papacitos (999 Manhattan Ave., between Green & Huron, 718-349-7292), a fun, loud, colorful spot that offers "Mexican street food in Brooklyn".

We started out with some Chips & Guac (naturally). The chips were greasy, and some weren't cooked all the way, but I liked how thick they were, and super crunchy. The guacamole was SPICY!!! It was chunky too, with red onions, green peppers and lots of JalapeƱo. Whoo! It was good though; I kept going back for more.



My boyfriend ordered the The Papa Benny with Poached Eggs, Picadas Stuffed “ Mesca cake” with Black Bean, Chorizo, Chipotle Hollandaise & Avocado Pico De Gallo from the Brunch menu. The eggs were perrrrr-fectly poached! Not a runny bit in sight. The Mesca cake was delicious, the chorizo provided a touch of spice and the sauces were strong and flavorful. Yum! And look at that gorgeous presentation of all that color in the orange bowl on top of the blue plate.



I decided to get two tacos, one with Tilapia and one with Carne Asada. The tilapia was tender and flaky and so tasty with a little fresh-squeezed lime juice. The carne asada was served in plentiful cubes, flavorful and not at all tough. Both were topped with a dollop of sour cream, chunks of tomatoes and a sprinkle of cilantro and served in two, small corn tortillas.



I liked Papacitos, although their new stereo system was not working properly (so I was told) and the bass was pumping so loudly I developed a headache during our meal. Hopefully they'll figure that out soon, I'm really curious about their dinners. Anyone been?

Papacitos on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Cooklyn Veg said...

I live in Greenpoint and go to Papacitos all the time - particularly during the summer time when their cute little back yard is open. I like the fact that their dinner menu is so varied - with tons of vegetarian options. I've never thought to go there for brunch, I'll have to check it out. The owners also have little 'bodega' called Brooklyn Standard - they do the best biscuits ever!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

I didn't know the Papcitos people were the Brooklyn Standard people! I love that place. I wrote about it back in the fall (http://eatbrooklynfood.blogspot.com/2009/10/sandwiches-at-brooklyn-standard.html). Looking forward to the backyard in summer! Thanks Cooklyn Veg!

jensrasmussen said...

I've been in the 'Point for 14 years and Cody Utzman's Papacitos is easily the best Mexican place we've ever had in the neighborhood. Dinners are great and now after reading your review - I'll have to try their brunch!

Cody Utzman was with Brooklyn Label, but left there in 2008. His newest venture is Cafe Royal - anybody been there yet?

Anonymous said...

I live in the neighbourhood, I took friends there 2 yrs ago and had a bad night, had to return the food it was cold! so decided not to go back again, however, like you,tonight I was taking a slow walk out and about and decided to give it another go,, I couldnt believe it when the burrito came and it was... stone cold! I returned it and out it came again ...COLD! tried a third time and it was still cold AND the chicken was raw!!!! I think it's important to get this place off the radar!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Euww, Anonymous, that's terrible. I haven't been in ages, so maybe they've gone waayyy downhill? Thanks for your comment...and warning!