Monday, February 15, 2010

Lobster at Cafe Mei Mei

8/3/10 OK, I think the word is out, but just to make sure, Cafe Ribant has officially closed. They're trying to transfer the lease (which has like, 10 years on it). Sad.

5/23/10 Walking down Court St. I saw Cafe Mei Mei is now called Cafe Ribant. Seems like there was some copyright issues with the original name. Same menu though.


Cafe Mei Mei, (231 Court St., between Baltic & Warren, 718-852-8571), "an American restaurant", has been open since November and was named after the Chef's dog. They don't seem to be getting a ton of business and I wonder if the name is throwing some people off, since it sounds like an Asian-themed restaurant, of which the neighborhood does not need another. Last week I ventured over with some friends to partake in their special Lobster Monday deal. For just $13 you get 1 1/2 pounds of lobster, de-shelled, with a choice of one of three sauces (Butter, Basil Aioli or Saffron Mayonnaise), and a beer. We decided to try all three sauces - the Basil Aioli was my favorite, with Butter a close second.



The lobster meat was tender and sweet and very filling! So delicious, and nice to not have to deal with the shells. There are also a number of sides available, to round out your meal. The Roast Garlic Polenta was the hands-down favorite, we had to get a second bowl it was so delicious, creamy and amazing (but not photogenic as it's cream-colored in a white bowl). We also ordered the Garlicky Greens:



which were great, and the (vegetarian) House-Baked Beans which were hearty and comfort-food classic:



Although we were quite full, we were tempted by the dessert menu and ended up ordering two! The Crème Fraiche Panna Cotta with Blueberry Cinnamon Coulis (bottom of photo below) was light, creamy and subtly sweet. The Chocolate Pot De Crème (top of photo below) was decadent, rich and wonderful, topped with vanilla ice cream.



I really liked our meal, the food was very good, high quality and nicely presented, and our waiter was attentive and friendly, but something felt off. The was the space was arranged is a little weird, with a long, wooden banquet along the wall and tables for two lined up the length of the place. Everything is white with red splashes which ends up feeling a bit cold and antiseptic. Not the warm neighborhood spot you want to go to weekly. The lobster special is a good deal though - so check it out while they're still having it!

Cafe Mei Mei on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Either I'm coffee-deprived or the number/address is missing.

I love the idea of that special. Hopefully they still make some profit on it!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Ooops! My bad. Thanks for catching it. Yeah, I hope they succeed, but I'm worried about them.

Caroline said...

That lobster looks divine. I love that it's served without the shell! I will definitely have to stop by this place!

Unknown said...

I went there with couple friends for the Lobster Monday last night. Guys, that place is truly amazing. We ordered both for the lobster and dishes from regular menu. All of our food is finger licking good. Wonder how can can provide such good food with the price so low. Appetizers are around $5, $6 and Entrees are around $16, $17. Even the cheapest wine on the wine list is great. You have to try it to believe it.

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Yes, much of the food was delicious, but I found most of the entrees to be high-priced. The range was $16 to $27 or so! I'm concerned that at those prices, patrons will stay away.

Unknown said...

I think the menu changed, same as the price. Just checked on their website, the items and the price are what I saw when I was there. The Entrees range from $10 - $21.

thepockmark said...

Hi there! I started following this blog right around when you made this post,and finally went into Cafe Mei Mei last week for the lobster special. Just wanted to thank you so much - loved it, and I never would have gone in there if I hadn't read this!

Eat It Brooklyn said...

Thanks Erin. I love hearing that!