Friday, June 19, 2009

Dinner at Alma

Ooops! I messed up the date when I posted this. Sorry it's late!

One of the best views of Lower Manhattan can be had from the roof of Alma, (187 Columbia Street, at Degraw St., 718-643-5400), a Mexican restaurant that has been more of a miss for me than a hit in terms of dining. I've been there a few times, and am usually left with a bit of a disappointing taste. The following is a sample of food I've had that explains why Alma is such a mixed bag.

I started with the Chilaquiles with shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, crema, and tangy tomato sauce. They were crunchy and tasty, but a little greasy and heavy.



The Tacos de Pescado were really good though, crispy fish tacos served on warm tortillas with jalapeno marmalade, pickled red onions and shaved red cabbage. I was surprised and disappointed to see that the fish was fried (not mentioned in the description), but the jalapeno marmalade was delicious and the rest of the garnishes added a crispy, tangy bite to the simple, flaky fish. It was very colorful too!



The corn tortilla Enchiladas stuffed with Portabello Mushrooms and Cheese with a Pumpkin Seed Sauce were a little off-putting though. Hmmm. It looks really unappetizing: a mess of cheese and oil and mush, topped with shredded iceberg lettuce. Really gross, right?



I don't know what to make of Alma. I've been disappointed more often thatn I've been pleased. It's only worth it to go early, have appetizer, some drinks and enjoy the view, and avoid dinner and the risk of getting a plate of mush!

Alma on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Why is it that dinner with views are never really as great as they could be?