Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thai Food to Go from Em Thai

There's nothing like ordering in and sitting down to a beat 'em up Chinese crime drama, I mean "Crime Story" at the end of a long day. Out came the menu book and Em Thai Kitchen was chosen for tonight's meal (278 Smith St. at Sackett St., 718-843-0505, www.emthaikitchen.com). I really like this place, and favor it above the other Thai places in the neighborhood.



These are the Curry Puffs, one of the may Appetizers listed on the menu. I've never had Curry Puffs anywhere else and they're amazing. The outside is a crisp, doughy container for the delicious curry with ground chicken, peas and potatoes. It comes with the classic Cucumber Chutney Sauce that's a perfect light accompaniment to the compact Puff.



My new favorite food of recent months is the Fish Cake. I love the chewy consistency and the spicy, peanut-y sauce adds a tangy zing. Five to an order - I ate one before taking the picture, I couldn't resist!



I'm kind of a creature of habit, and end up getting the same thing when getting Thai food (usually it's Phad Thai or Pad See Ew with Shrimp or Tofu). I decided to try something new and ordered the Pad See Ew with Moc Duck. I'm always amazed when fake meat is done well and actually tastes like the thing it's imitating. This Moc Duck was great. It definitely had the grain-y undertone to it, but had a nice texture, almost tender like real Duck Meat, and was remarkably full of flavor. I was impressed. The Pad See Ew also comes with loads of Chinese Broccoli and mushrooms, and is definitely one of my favorite dishes from Em Thai.



We also got the Pineapple Curry, which comes with a side of Jasmine Rice, and is loaded down with chunks of Pineapple, peas, carrots, zucchini and bell peppers in a coconut milk curry sauce. You can get it hot if you'd like, but I prefer it to be on the more milder side.

A most delicious meal!

Em Thai on Urbanspoon
UrbanSpoon has more reviews.

No comments: